As we head into another cold Cincinnati Winter here are some general hints to keeping your dog safe and happy. A Dog Trainer can be a good resource for understanding the needs of your dog in the winter.
- For some short hair or older dogs it can be beneficial to use dog jackets or paw covers when they go outdoors in the cold weather.
- Young puppies might not tolerate the cold as well as adult dogs, keep this in mind when taking them outside.
- After your dog has been outside in the ice or snow be sure to wipe the snow and ice from their fur, under their bellies and in their paws.
- Make sure you are using “dog safe” de-icing products. Your local pet store can help you find a dog safe alternative.
- Never leave your dog in a car in cold weather.
- If your dog sleeps in a cold basement or in a drafty room you should supply some form of bedding such as a blanket or towels.